God’s Word Rejoices the Heart
“Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.” (Psalm 119:111)
Why does God’s word rejoice the heart?
1. God’s word gives hope. “They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word.” (Psalm 119:74)
2. God’s word preserves life. “92Unless thy law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction. 93I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me.” (Psalm 119:92,93)
3. God’s word is used by God to bring help. “173Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen thy precepts. 174I have longed for thy salvation, O LORD; and thy law is my delight.” (Psalm 119:173,174)
4. God’s word opens the eyes, it gives light and wisdom, “The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.” (Psalm 19:8) “The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.” (Psalm 119:130)
5. God’s word sustains us spiritually just as food sustains us physically. “Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.” (Jeremiah 15:16) “Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.” (Job 23:12) “But he answered and said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Matthew 4:4)
6. God’s word reminds us that we are called by His name, we belong to God. “Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.” (Jeremiah 15:16)
Oh, God, help me to love Your word because it will bring rejoicing to my heart!